Deployment Questions

Jan 9, 2009 at 12:24 AM
Hi!

I really like this tool and have been having fun playing with different result sets in the queries.  But, I'm having troubles deploying the project.  It runs great inside of Visual Studio, but as soon as I publish the service to it's own host, I have issues.  At first I couldn't rule out that I misapplied something while experimenting..  So I took it back down to the base and still am having trouble.

So - what I did was this.. 
- Extracted the source
- Updated the pagecontrol.xml to point to my TFS server
- Ran the solution in Visual Studio   ~ all with success
- Published the WcfTfsService to my local machine under Inetpub\wwwroot
- Verified the clientaccesspolicy.xml and crossdomain.xml files were in place at wwwroot
- Updated the pagecontrol.xml to point to the locally published webservice
- Ran the solution in Visual Studio  ~ error trying to access our TFS server

I then ran the WcfTestClient app inside of Visual Studio.  It runs fine when pointing to the service that is running while hosted by VS.  When the test client is pointed to the locally published service, I get the following error:  "TF30063: You are not authorized to access <tfsserver>."

So this doesn't seem to be directly Silverlight related...  but how can I see what is being passed to the TFS Authenticate method?  Since I am a TFS server administrator, I know that it is not passing _my_ credentials.  We're using Windows authentication with our TFS system. The webservice was published with anonymous access and Integrated Windows Authentication turned on.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks much!
Jennifer:)
Coordinator
Jan 9, 2009 at 1:18 AM
Hi Jennifer,

Great that you have fun with it...

We have the service running under an identity which has access to the TFS Server rather than using the Windows Authentication option which wouldn't work from the perspective that you would use this to report TFS server wide rather than an individual who has limited project access.

Good point though, I should mention this some where in the "documentation".

So in short, In IIS, create a new AppPool, use a custom domain account with enough access to all TFS Projects.

Let me know if that helped,

Wouter
Jan 9, 2009 at 4:19 PM
Hi!

Thanks so much for the quick response! :) 

That did change things a bit..  You may also want to note that the account needs to be added to the Group Security Policy to 'log on as batch process'.

In any case, I did set up an app pool with a TFS account.  Now I'm getting a null reference exception somewhere in the webservice.  poo.

Ooooh!  This is interesting...  I ran this through the test client.  That returned valid results for BuildStatus but not for ProjectStatus.  After that I inactivated the ProjectStatus control and was able to display the BuildStatus page without any exceptions!  Neat!

Yes - I think I can track this down..   figure something out :)

Thanks soooo much for your help!
Jennifer:)